Franklin, NC ABC Store

Q: What are the acceptable forms of payment?

A: We accept cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express. Debit Cards associated with MasterCard and Visa are also accepted.

Q: What are the normal hours of operation?

A: All ABC stores are obligated to open no earlier than 9am and close no later than 9pm. It is important to note, however, that some stores operate on reduced hours within the 9am – 9pm time frame.

Q: Do the local ABC stores operate on Sunday and holidays?

A: ABC stores are under legal obligation to remain closed on Sundays and specific holidays, and no ABC store employee shall sell alcoholic beverages on these days. Holidays include New Year’s Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day. A local board may otherwise determine the days on which its stores shall be closed.

Q: Store Operations/Holidays

A: All stores are closed on the holidays listed below. NOTE that if the holiday lies on a Saturday or Sunday, then the store may close on the following Monday.

New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day

Q: Can local ABC stores have “sales” and offer spirituous liquor at discount or below the next ABC store prices?

A: No. The retail price of spirituous liquor sold in North Carolina ABC stores shall be uniform throughout the state. A Price Book is published and distributed every February, May, August and November, and all stores are required to use the established prices. There are monthly discounts on selected items. In addition, we periodically discontinue brands, and offer these items at discounted prices.

Q: Can spirituous liquor be sold in grocery stores and other food marts?

A: In North Carolina, spirituous liquor may be sold only in local ABC stores operated by the local ABC Board.

Q: What if you don’t stock a product I would like to purchase?

A: If the product is listed in the North Carolina Price Book and you feel you will purchase it on a regular basis, then we will consider stocking the product on our shelves. If it is not listed in the Price Book, we can look outside of North Carolina for what you want. This is what is called a “special order.” Special orders come by the case, and can be placed when payment is made in advance. You can expect 6-8 weeks for delivery, depending on the product and its place of origin.

Q: How much may I purchase?

A: Without a permit, a person may purchase at one time not more than 80 liters of malt beverages; other than draft malt beverages in kegs; any amount of draft malt beverages in kegs; not more than 20 liters of unfortified wine; and not more than eight liters of either fortified wine or spirituous liquor, or eight liter of the two combined.

With a permit, a person may purchase more than 20 liters of unfortified wine; and more than eight liters of either fortified wine or spirituous liquor , or eight liters of the two combined may be purchased with a purchase-transportation permit. (there is no charge for the permit)

Q: Are there free samples?

A: No. There are samples of many of the selected products, by the way of mini bottles.

Q: May I return or exchange a product?

A: No, the Franklin ABC Board policy offers no returns, exchanges or refunds once the product has left the store, unless it is tainted or spoiled. In this case, we will accept the nearly full container and provide you with a replacement.

Q: When do I need a special permit to make purchases at an ABC store?

A: All permits are handled at the North Carolina ABC Commisions office, based in Raleigh . For more information, visit the permits page included in the North Carolina ABC Commission website.

Q: What does ABC mean?

A: Alcoholic Beverage Control

Q: What is a local ABC Board?

A: A local board consists of a Chairman and from two to six members, depending on size, appointed by their city, town or county governing authority. The Franklin ABC Board is composed of a chairman and 2 members. See who they are on the Board Members page.

Q: What is a Control System?

A: A control system regulates alcohol beverage distribution within its respective borders, but also sells these products at the wholesale and, in many cases, retail level.

By participating in the marketplace, control jurisdictions are able to serve their citizens with a broader and more flexible range of policy options for promoting moderation in the consumption of alcohol beverages and for reducing alcohol abuse.

In 1935 the North Carolina Legislature authorized the Governor to appoint a commission to study the question of control of alcoholic beverages for the purpose of making recommendations to the 1937 General Assembly. The commission examined two types of control under which spirituous liquor was being sold in other states, one being represented by a State Licensing system and the other by a State Control system. After careful study, the Alcoholic Beverage Control bill was submitted to the General Assembly of 1937, and with a few changes was enacted into law. The Control Act provided for the establishment of a State Board of Control consisting of a Chairman and two associate members who would be appointed by the Governor of the State.

The State Board of Control is today known as the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission . The Control Act also provides for a control plan under which no county or city in the State would be required to sell alcohol unless first approved by the voters. Today North Carolina is a “local option” state with 40 county and 113 municipal ABC boards that sell spirituous liquor at retail. In addition, other alcohol beverage sales may be legal at both on and off premise businesses depending on whether the majority of voters approved the alcohol issue.

Q: How is it funded?

A control system operates solely on the revenue derived from liquor sales in its jurisdiction. No property, state or other local taxes are used to support control system operations.

Q: Are the local ABC Boards part of the ABC Commission?

A: No. In North Carolina, ABC boards are local political subdivisions of the State. They operate as separate entities establishing their own policies and procedures.

Q: Does the ABC Commission have authority over the local ABC Boards?

A: Yes. However, the local ABC Board retains authority to set policy and adopt rules so long as it conforms to ABC laws and Commission rules.

Q: Are you a state employee (agency) or a county employee?

A: Neither. We are employees of the Franklin ABC Board (more details and distinctions are provided in the North Carolina ABC Commission website). The revenue, prices and various regulations are managed by the State, in addition to authorizing the Franklin Town Council to make board member appointments.

Q: How many local ABC Boards are there?

A: Currently there are 166 ABC Boards. In some cases ABC Boards are organized as city-approved ABC Boards, instead of operating as a county-wide system.

Q: How or where can I apply for a job with the local ABC Board?

A: You may obtain a job application at the store location of 175 Macon Plaza Drive, or obtain a printable application from this site.

Q: Do ABC employees receive a discount?

A: No.

Q: What is the difference between the local ABC Board and the local ABC store?

A: The local ABC Board provides management of the local ABC store(s) that is within its operating jurisdiction.

Q: What type of sales are allowed in my area?

A: Legal alcohol sales (to include mixed beverage sales, ABC Stores, and beer and wine sales) are determined at the town level by local elections.

Q: What is the difference between fortified and unfortified wine?

A: Fortified wine means any wine, of more than sixteen permit (16%) and no more than twenty-four percent (24%) alcohol by volume, made by fermentation from grapes, fruits, berries, rice, or honey; or by the addition of pure cane, beet, or dextrose sugar; or by the addition of pure brandy from the same type of grape, fruit, berry, rice, or honey that is contained in the base wine and produced in accordance with the regulations of the United States.

Unfortified wine means any wine of sixteen percent (16%) or less alcohol by volume, made by fermentation from grapes, fruits, berries, rice, or honey; or by the addition of pure cane, beet, or dextrose sugar; or by the addition of pure brandy from the same type of grape, fruit, berry, rice, or honey that is contained in the base wine and produced in accordance with the regulations of the United States.

Q: What is a retail permit?

A: A retail permit is issued to a person or persons or to an entity at a specific location allowing for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Q: Who gets the monies collected from ABC permits?

A: All fees collected from the ABC permit system are deposited with the State Treasurer.

Q: How do I open an ABC Store?

A: Individuals cannot open liquor stores in North Carolina . Towns and counties have elections for an ABC store. The town and county appointing authorities then appoint board members whose responsibility it is to establish the ABC store.

Q: How many counties in North Carolina are dry?

A: There is currently one (1) dry county: Graham

Q: How many counties in North Carolina do not have ABC stores?

A: There are currently three (3) counties with no ABC stores: Graham, Madison, and Yadkin.

Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • Image
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
Click outside to hide the comparison bar